Sunday, January 15, 2017

Dreaming / Planning a Trip!







For at least the last ten years I have been dreaming of retiring and taking a motorcycle ride down to Central America, or even South America.  I am still NOT SURE if I am going to make this trip or not.  I have ridden from Spokane, Washington to Baja, Mexico by myself, and I have flown to Ecuador and taken a four day off road trip with an old Army buddy, but I have never taken a trip quite as extensive as this.

Last year I sold my Harley Ultra Classic and my Kawasaki KLR in anticipation of buying my "Retirement Bike".  After much research I have ordered a 2017 Africa Twin.  It should arrive here in April.  I have never ridden one and the dealer has agreed to give me my down payment back if I do not like it.

Right now I have a lot of things going through my mind.  Do I retire this summer or wait until December so I can cash in all of my unused leave?  When do I leave to avoid bad weather?  Should I head south immediately from Spokane or should I head to Alaska first and work my way south? Should I stop in Central America or should I try to make it to South America?  How much will it cost?  How long will it take?  Can I do this blog on the road?  Can I finally learn to use my gopro? Should I skip the Africa Twin and just buy a new KLR, that will save me $7,000.  I have never been so undecided about anything in my life!

I guess I will take it one day at a time and see what happens. I would welcome any and all suggestions or comments that anyone may have.






No comments:

Post a Comment